CPUC authorization is required to modify an existing rail crossing.

Commission General Order 88-B (abbreviated GO 88-B) provides a process for CPUC staff authorization of rail crossing modifications that meet certain criteria.  For construction that does not meet the criteria, such as construction of a new rail crossing, refer to the Formal Application process.

Request Form

For details, please refer to the GO 88-B Request Form and Instructions

Projects that are processed pursuant to the GO 88-B authorization request process typically take less than 45 days for approval. 

GO 88-B authorizations are valid for 3 years from the date of the authorization issuance letter.

Refer to the archive of GO 88-B Authorizations to review previously issued authorization letters.


  1. Grade crossing widening within the existing street right-of-way.
  2. Approach grade changes.
  3. Track elevation changes
  4. Roadway realignment that is functionality related to the existing crossing and can be achieved within the existing or a contiguous right-of-way.
  5. Addition of one track within the existing rail agency right-of-way.
  6. Change in the type or addition of an automatic signaling device, crossing gate, crossing flagman or other forms of crossing protection or reduction of hours during which any such protection is maintained, or other minor alterations.
  7. Alterations or reconstruction of an existing grade-separated crossing, where exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) pursuant to California Public Resources (PR) Code Section 21080.13.
  8. Construction of a grade-separation that eliminates an existing at-grade highway-rail crossing, where exempt from CEQA pursuant to PR Code Section 21080.13

In addition to meeting the above criteria, all interested parties--including Commission staff--must agree to the project. If any party objects to the proposed project, then a formal application must be filed.

Request Process

  1. Contact the appropriate field engineer. See the Rail Crossings Contact Information page for details.
  2. Conduct on-site diagnostic meeting with the interested parties (rail organization, roadway authority, Commission staff) to review the proposed changes.
  3. Update plans based on reviews by interested parties.
  4. Obtain written concurrence of the rail organization and/or roadway authority with jurisdiction at the crossing.
  5. Complete and send the GO 88-B authorization request form (included with the form are instructions on completing it and where to send it), if all parties are in agreement.
    • The form must be signed by a roadway authority or rail organization official, it cannot be signed by a consultant on behalf of a roadway authority or rail organization.
  6. Send completed form, attachments, and evidence of concurrence signed by interested parties to the following contacts. 
    • Electronic copies are preferred in scanned, PDF/A format. Please confirm with the appropriate engineer if submitting alternate formats.  Large files can be transferred to CPUC staff using the site http://cpucftp.cpuc.ca.gov/  

1) Engineer assigned to the area

Please see Rail Crossings Contact Information for contact information of the appropriate engineer assigned to the area.


2) RCEB Supervisors

Please send an electronic copy to the Senior Utilities Engineer Supervisor and Program and Project Supervisor in the appropriate region.

Southern California: Anh Truong, P.E.: anh.truong@cpuc.ca.gov and Matthew Bond, P.E.: matthew.bond@cpuc.ca.gov

Northern California: Felix Ko, P.E.: felix.ko@cpuc.ca.gov  and Gina Adams: gina.adams@cpuc.ca.gov

3) Railroad and/or Roadway agency

Ensure that other interested parties receive a copy of the request.

Related Programs

Related Divisions