The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulates privately owned California utilities that provide energy, water, and telecommunications services.  If you have a question or complaint concerning one of these utility providers, the CPUC can help you through its Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB).  However, if your utility is operated by a government entity such as a municipality, CAB cannot assist you.  Also, CAB cannot assist you with certain services that utilities provide which are regulated by the Federal Government or local governments.

The following are examples of entities, services, or charges that CAB cannot assist you with:

  • Municipalities
  • Federal, City or County  surcharges or taxes
  • Telephone equipment
  • Interstate and international long distance calling (except slamming)
  • Yellow page directory advertising
  • Propane providers
  • Collection Agencies

Municipal Utilities

You may reach the largest municipal utilities at:

  • Eat Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) at: 
  • Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LA DWP) at: 
  • Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) at:  

    For other municipal utilities in California, please refer to your bill for contact information.

    Federal Communications Commission (FCC)

    You may contact the FCC with concerns regarding:

    • Interstate and International Calls
    • Wireless Rates and Cell Tower Siting
    • Telephone Equipment
    • Internet Service

      The FCC encourages online filing of complaints using the form available at:  

      Federal Communications Commission
      445 12th Street SW
      Washington, DC 20554
      Phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC


      For assistance with issues regarding rates or services from propane providers please contact:

      Western Propane Gas Association
      2131 Capitol Avenue, Suite 206
      Sacramento, CA 95816

      Other Areas

      CAB cannot provide assistance with issues regarding: 

      • Damage Claims
      • Directory Advertising
      • Landlord/Tenant Issues
      • Rebates & Promotions
      • Cell phone or cable TV rates

      If you cannot settle your complaint with the utility, you may seek resolution through civil or small claims court.  Many counties also have small claims advisors who may be able to help with your complaint.  More information is available at California Courts - Small Claims  

      Cable and satellite television may also be subject to local municipal or county regulations. You may contact the appropriate agency in your city or county government.