TNC: Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities Program (SB 1376, Hill)
In September 2018, the Governor signed into state law Senate Bill (SB) 1376: TNC Access for All Act (Hill, 2018). Pursuant to SB 1376, the CPUC must establish a program relating to accessibility for persons with disabilities as part of its regulation of TNCs. Implementation of SB 1376 occurs in CPUC Rulemaking 19-02-012.
The Commission is conducting workshops throughout the State to engage the public to determine community WAV demand and supply; develop and provide recommendations regarding specified topics for programs for on-demand services and partnerships; and discuss all other topics related to the successful implementation of the TNC Access for All Act.
- Rulemaking (R.) 19-02-012
- Decision (D.) 21-11-004 on "Track 4" issues including modifying requirements for TNCS to be eligible for Offset and Exemption requests; clarifying eligible expenses must exclude fare revenues received by TNCs; modifying eligibility requirements for Access Providers; identifying additional accessibility issues to be covered in R.19-02-012; and defining “Community WAV demand” for Yearly Benchmark Report.
- Decision (D.) 21-03-005 on "Track 3" issues including defining “on-demand” as it relates to WAVs, adjusted metrics for TNC’s offset eligibility; set requirements for Access Providers and local and statewide AFAs; and addressed other accessibility issues.
- Decision (D.) 20-03-007 on "Track 2" issues including establishing requirements for the TNC offsets and exemptions and distribution of the Access Fund.
- Decision (D.) 19-06-033 on "Track 1" Issues Transportation Network Company Trip Fee and Geographic Areas
- Beginning on July 1, 2019, transportation network companies (TNCs) are required to collect a ten cent ($0.10) fee on each TNC trip in California. The funds generated from the fee support the expansion of on-demand transportation for non-folding wheelchair users who require a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV).
Events and Workshops
- April 27, 2022: Webex (Track 5b)
- Workshop Recording
- CPUC – Terra Curtis, Transportation Policy & Analysis Supervisor, and Anna Jew, Analyst
- San Francisco – Erin McAuliff, Senior Transit Planner-Accessible Services (SFMTA)
- Lyft – Janee Weaver, Counsel, Regulatory Compliance
- Uber – Seth Smith, Manager, Public Policy, and Michael Tietjen, WAV Program Manager, Central Ops
- February 17, 2022: WebEx (Track 5A)
- May 11, 2021: WebEx (Track 4)
- Workshop Recording
- CPUC – Terra Curtis, Transportation Policy & Analysis Supervisor, Anna Jew and Regan Rockzsfforde, Analysts
- San Francisco – Nicole Bohn, Director (SF Mayor’s Office on Disability), Joe Castiglione, Deputy Director (SFCTA), Erin McAuliff, Senior Transit Planner-Accessible Services (SFMTA)
- San Francisco Taxi Workers Alliance – Mark Gruberg, Executive Board
- Lyft - Izzy Gerundio, Program Lead and Richard Zhou, Senior Analyst
- Uber – Chris Pangilinan, Senior Public Policy Manager, Connor Fagent, Senior WAV Operations Manager and Tim Myers, WAV Program Lead
- Via – Aparna Paladugu, Federal and Policy and Government Affairs Principal, and Caitlin Brady, Legal Operations Associate Principal
- July 24, 2020: WebEx (Track 3)
- CPUC - Cody Naylor, Transportation Licensing & Analysis Supervisor, Anna Jew and Regan Rockzsfforde, Analysts
- Lyft - Traci Lee, Senior Public Policy Manager, and Izzy Gerundio, Program Lead
- Via - Andrei Greenawalt, Head of Public Policy, and Caitlin Brady, Legal Operations Associate Principal
- Uber - Tim Myers, manager of Central Operations
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) - Eric McAuliff, Senior Transit Planner - Accessible Services
- October 10, 2019: San Diego (Track 2)
- Webex Session Recording
- CPUC - Cody Naylor, Transportation Licensing & Analysis Supervisor and Anna Jew, Lead Analyst
- Lyft - Traci Lee, Senior Public Policy Manager
- Uber - Kimberly Harvish, US & Canada Operations Lead, Accessibility
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) - Erin McAuliff, Senior Transit Planner - Accessible Services
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) - James Andrew, Transportation Planning, Manager
- Track 1 Workshops: Link
- TNC Access for All Fund Fee Statement Forms
- TNC Access Advice Letter Status
- CPUC Transportation Network Companies (TNC) Main Page
Mail: CPUC Transportation Licensing and Analysis Branch
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102