The Consumer Affairs Branch’s (CAB's) primary role is to assist consumers by providing answers to their questions, and to assist consumers in resolving disputes or complaints against utility providers that are subject to CPUC authority by providing a neutral evaluation of their issues.

If you have a complaint against a regulated utility provider, before contacting CAB, we recommend that you give your utility provider an opportunity to resolve the issue by contacting their customer service department. Follow this link to learn more about resolving your complaints with your utility provider.

If your utility provider is unable to resolve your dispute, or if you are dissatisfied with the resolution, you may contact CAB.  CAB receives consumer contacts via phone and in writing. 

To best prepare for your interaction with CAB we encourage you to review the information provided in How to prepare for your interaction with CAB.  After you have reviewed the information please contact us. 

How to contact CAB

By Phone:

Please note not all issues can be resolved with a phone call and you may be asked to submit your complaint in writing.      

Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 

If you are not certain about the next step to take, or if you have an urgent issue such as a safety concern, or your utility service is in jeopardy of being disconnected, please call CAB.   

Representatives are available to assist you in the language of your choice Monday - Friday, 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.  Representatives can answer your questions and, depending on your issue, can contact your utility provider directly to facilitate problem resolution.   

CAB's interactive phone system provides information on a wide variety of topics and is available 24 hours a day.  

In Writing:

Please follow the guidelines listed here when submitting your written complaint to CAB.  Submit written details of your dispute to CAB in one of three ways:

  • Online

  • By Fax: 1-415-703-1158  

  • By U.S. Mail:  
    California Public Utilities Commission
    Consumer Affairs Branch
    505 Van Ness Avenue
    San Francisco, CA  94102 – 3298 

Written complaints are evaluated and, if applicable, submitted to the utility as an Informal Complaint (IC).  You can find more information about the Informal Complaint process here.