CASF Rural and Urban Regional Broadband Consortia Account
Electronic Claims and Applications Portal (eCAP) for Payment RequestsNEWAll grantees must now use the Electronic Claims and Applications Portal (eCAP) to submit payment requests for their CASF grants. The eCAP is available at: https://ecap.cpuc.ca.gov/s/. See the "Resources for Consortia" section below.
The California Advanced Services Fund (CASF) Rural and Urban Regional Broadband Consortia Account offers grants to eligible consortia to facilitate deployment of broadband services by assisting CASF broadband infrastructure grant applicants in the project development or application process. This includes applicants to the CASF Infrastructure Account, Federal Funding Account, and other relevant programs approved under Senate Bill 156. Public Utilities Code section 281 is the guiding statute for the CASF. For historical background on the Consortia Account, please see the program's history.
The program rules and requirements are set in the CPUC’s May 19, 2022 Decision 22-05-029. Specifically, see:
- Appendix 3 of Decision 22-05-029 (p. 107) for Consortia Account application requirements and guidelines
An eligible consortium that can apply for Consortia Account funds may include representatives, of organizations including, but not limited to, local and regional government, public safety, elementary and secondary education, health care, libraries, postsecondary education, community-based organizations, tourism, parks and recreation, agricultural, business, workforce organizations, and air pollution control or air quality management districts. An eligible consortium is not required to have as its lead fiscal agent an entity with a certificate of public convenience and necessity.
Applying for Funds
The application window for the Consortia Account is currently closed. When the application window opens, both existing and newly formed consortia organizations may submit applications requesting grant funding.
Administrative Manual, Application Package, and Reporting Forms:
- Consortia Account Administrative Manual (Appendix D Excel) (updated August 2023)
- Appendix A - Consortia Account Application Package
- Appendix B - Consortia Account Forms
- Appendix C - Consortia Account Bi-Annual Progress Report and Payment Request Package
- Consortia Account Application Instructions and Overview
Active Consortia Grants
2022 Grant Cycle
The CPUC opened an application cycle on June 1, 2022 for the Consortia Account and received several applications by the July 15, 2022 deadline. On January 12, 2023, the CPUC awarded grants to consortia applicants in Resolution T-17778. The awarded consortia's Proposed Work and Performance Metrics Plans show the work activities, deliverables, performance measures and method for tracking, responsible parties, and other items.
CASF Consortia Regions Map: Shows the consortia regions from the 2022 Grant Cycle (Grants Approved in 2023)
Consortia Contact Information: Provides a list of consortia with active grants and consortia contact information.
Resources for Consortia
Consortia organizations may want the following links useful:
- April 20, 2023 CASF Infrastructure Account Informational Meeting: Covers the 2023 CASF Infrastructure Account Applications and Updated California Interactive Broadband Map (Chrome or Firefox browsers recommended)
- California Interactive Broadband Map: To identify eligible project locations for the CASF Infrastructure Account.
- CASF Infrastructure Account - Project Development Resources: Provides project planning and submission of infrastructure grant applications.
- Federal Funding Account Webpage: Provides information about the Federal Funding Account, map, and application tools.
NEW - Payment Request Process for Consortia: All grantees must now use the Electronic Claims and Applications Portal (eCAP) to submit payment requests for their CASF grants. Grantees should no longer submit payment requests to the public email. The eCAP is available at: https://ecap.cpuc.ca.gov/s/.
- eCAP Help - FAQs: Provides helpful videos and FAQs on how to use eCAP.
Grant Cycles and Other Information
- 2022 Grant Cycle: Solicitation Notice | Applications Received | Consortia Awarded T- 17778
- 2021 Grant Cycle: Solicitation Notice | Applications Received | Consortia Awarded T- 17738
- 2020 Grant Cycle: Solicitation Notice | Applications Received | Consortia Awarded T- 17708 | T-17726
- 2019 Grant Cycle: Solicitation Notice | Applications Received | Consortia Awarded T- 17669
- Performance Audit: A Performance Audit of California's One Million New Internet Users Coalition Consortia program