Local Agency Technical Assistance
Local Agency Technical Assistance grant program is currently accepting applications! See the Important Information section of this page for the application spreadsheet and information about how to apply.
The Local Agency Technical Assistance grants support tribes and local agencies in their efforts to expand broadband service to unserved and underserved Californians. Established by the CPUC according to Senate Bill 156, the program has a $50 million budget for grants including a $5 million set-aside for tribes. Technical assistance funding is for planning work that will facilitate high-speed broadband infrastructure projects. A program overview can be found here.
Guidelines & Eligibility
Entities interested in applying should familiarize themselves with the Local Agency Technical Assistance guidelines set forth in CPUC Decision 22-02-026 and Attachment 1. Grant recipients are reimbursed for eligible pre-construction expenses to provide high-speed connections to unserved and underserved communities. Examples of reimbursable expenses:
- Consultant or staff time for conducting work including but not limited to needs assessments, environmental and engineering studies, network design, and broadband strategic plans.
- Costs incurred in forming a joint powers authority for the purpose of bringing broadband to areas in need of sufficient Internet connections.
The following entities are eligible to apply for technical assistance grants:
- Local government agencies in California are authorized by law to provide broadband service.
- California tribes with or without federal recognition. Tribes may also continue to apply to the separate broadband Tribal Technical Assistance program.
- Oct. 10, 2022: CPUC Awards Grants to Local Governments To Support Closing the Digital Divide
- Oct. 21, 2022: CPUC Awards Second Round of Grants to Local Governments to Help Close the Digital Divide
- A table summarizing technical assistance applications received is updated weekly on the right side of this page.
- Local Agency Technical Assistance Decision and Guidelines (D. 22-02-026)
- Broadband Implementation in California – Learn about last-mile project funding and other new investment programs.
- California Advanced Services Fund – Broadband grants for infrastructure, adoption, public housing, tribal technical assistance, and more.
- CPUC Broadband Mapping Program and California Interactive Broadband Map -- Look up broadband services available in your area.
- Strategies for Crafting Effective Broadband Plans by the Pew Charitable Trust.
- Publications from the National Telecommunications and Information Association.
- USC Annenberg Digital Divide Map
- Grantee Administrative Manual (how to apply)
- Grant Application (fillable spreadsheet)
- Notarized Affidavit (include with application)
- Grantee Consent Form (required post-award)
- California Taxpayer ID Form (required post-award)
- Grantee Reporting Requirements NEW 10/5/22
- Pre-Recorded Overview: Recording | Presentation
- Grant Application Demo: Recording | Presentation
- Live Webinar: Recording | Presentation
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Applications Received: Excel | pdf AS OF 11/17/22
- Includes application summaries and awards.
- County Dashboard: map
Contact & Submissions
Please submit Technical Assistance applications, required supplemental materials, and questions via email to Broadband.TechAssist@cpuc.ca.gov.