Electric Safety Citations
In December 2014, the CPUC issued Decision 14-12-001 to permit CPUC staff to fine electric corporations for violating state rules and regulations. Citations may arise out of an ongoing investigation or when a violation is directly brought to the CPUC’s attention.
Decision 14-12-001 implements an electric safety citation program that is consistent with the requirements included in Senate Bill 291. In response to an application for rehearing, the CPUC issued Decision 15-05-054 in May 2015, modifying Decision 14-12-001 for purposes of clarification, and denying rehearing.
In September 2016, the CPUC issued Decision 16-09-055 adopting improvements to the electric safety citation program.
- November 15, 2022: $1,020,000 Citation to SCE for its involvement in the ignition of the Easy Fire in Simi Valley
- October 21, 2022: $100,000 Citation to PG&E for its involvement in the ignition of the Drum Fire in Lompoc
- November 22, 2021: $2,500,000 Citation to PG&E for violating GO-165 related to the incomplete detailed inspection of 54,755 distribution poles in 2019
- November 22, 2021: $5,000,000 Citation to PG&E for inadequate inspections of the Ignacio-Alto-Sausalito transmission lines from 2008-2019
- December 4, 2020: $1,000,000 Citation to SCE for December 2, 2017 incident in Oxnard (All of the redactions are proposed by SCE and are currently under review)
- October 3, 2018: $8 million Amended Citation to SCE for August 1, 2015 Incident in Twentynine Palms (This amended citation replaces the $300,000 citation that was issued to SCE on February 12, 2018. All of the redactions are proposed by SCE and are currently under review)
- February 12, 2018: $300,000 Citation to SCE for August 1, 2015 Incident in Twentynine Palms
- June 6, 2017: $400,000 Citation to PG&E for October 18, 2015 Incident near Moss Landing Substation/Monterey
- Enclosure 1 SED Incident Investigation Report
- Enclosure 2 PG&E Moss Landing Tower Collapse Direct Cause Analysis
- Enclosure 3 PG&E Moss Landing Tower Collapse Root Cause Analysis
- Enclosure 4 Root Cause Analysis Report Addendum
- April 25, 2017: $8 million Citation to PG&E for Violation of General Order 95, Rule 31.1 for Butte Fire Ignited September 9, 2015
- April 25, 2017: $300,000 Citation to PG&E for Violation of General Order 95, Rule 35 and Resolution E-4184 for Butte Fire Ignited September 9, 2015
- February 12, 2016: $50,000 Citation to Edison for May 15, 2014 Incident in Whittier
- August, 31, 2015: $50,000 Citation to PG&E for August 26-27, 2014, incident at Metcalf Substation
- July 21, 2015: $450,000 Citation to PG&E for November 7, 2014, incident in San Jose
- November 15, 2022: CPUC Staff Propose Penalizing SCE $1 Million for Easy Fire
- November 22, 2021: CPUC Issues Citations to PG&E for Safety Code Violations