Energy Efficiency Shareholder Incentive Mechanism
The Efficiency Savings and Performance Incentive (ESPI) mechanism was adopted on September 5, 2013 in D.13-09-023 The ESPI awards the Investor Owned Utilities (IOUs) for performance in both non-resource and resource activities, as follows:
- Energy Efficiency Resource Savings: A performance award for ex-ante locked down and ex-post verified net lifecycle resource programs (energy efficiency programs that are intended to achieve and report quantified energy savings) energy savings measured in MW, GWh and MMTh.
- Ex-Ante Review (EAR) Process Performance: A performance award for IOUs ex-ante review conformance. Access EAR Performance scoring memos here (using login information under “Login Form”).
- Codes and Standards (C&S): A management fee award for the IOUs advocacy of codes and standards.
- Non-Resource Programs: A management fee award for implementing non-resource programs (an energy efficiency program that has no directly attributed energy saving but the programs supports the energy efficiency portfolio through activities such as marketing or improved access to training and education.)
1.a. 2018 Evaluated Savings Award
- 2018 Savings Performance Statement, Workbooks, and Database
- Updated - Final 2018 Performance Statement
1.b. 2019 Expected Savings Award
- 2019 Savings Adjustment Statement
- 2019 Savings Workbooks
2. Ex Ante Review Performance
3 & 4. 2019 Codes & Standards and Non-Resource Management Fee
1.a. 2017 Evaluated Savings Award
- 2017 Savings Performance Statement, Workbooks, and Database
- Extension for 2017 Custom Projects Review
1.b. 2018 Expected Savings Award
2. 2018 Ex Ante Review Performance
3 & 4. 2018 Codes & Standards and Non-Resource Management Fee
1.a. 2016 Ex-Post Savings Award
1.b. 2017 Ex-Ante Savings Award
2. 2017 Ex-Ante Review Performance
- 2017 Final ESPI EAR Performance Memos
- 2017 EAR Performance Score Weighting Workbook
- 2017 Final Ex-Ante Workbook - Savings
- 2016 Final Ex-Ante Ex-Post Savings Workbook
3 & 4. 2017 Codes & Standards and Non-Resource Management Fee
2017 References (2015 Ex-Post and 2016 Ex-Ante):
1.a. 2015 Ex-Post Savings Award
- 2015 Final Ex-Post Performance Statement Report
- 2015 Final Ex-Post Performance Statement Workbooks
- 2015 Final Ex-Post ESPI Database
1.b. 2016 Ex-Ante Savings Award
- 2016 Final Ex-Ante Workbook - Savings
- 2015 Final Ex-Ante Ex-Post Savings Workbook
- 2016 Final Ex-Ante and 2015 Ex-Post Savings Adjustment Statement
2. 2016 Ex-Ante Review Performance
3 & 4. 2016 Codes & Standards and Non-Resource Management Fee
2016 References (2014 Ex-Post and 2015 Ex-Ante):
1.a. 2014 Ex-Post Savings Award
- 2014 Final Ex-Post Performance Statement Report
- 2014 Final Ex-Post Performance Statement Workbooks
- 2014 Final Ex-Post ESPI Database (updated 8/1/2016)
1.b. 2015 Ex-Ante ESPI Savings Award
2. 2015 Ex-Ante Review Performance
3 & 4. 2015 Codes & Standards and Non-Resource Management Fee
- 6/30/2016 Webinar Presentation
- 2014 Draft Performance Statement Report
- Home Energy Report addendum
- 2014 Draft Performance Statement Report Workbooks
- 2014 Draft ESPI Database (updated 6/15/2016)
- 2014 Draft ESPI Database (updated 5/5/2016)
- 4/22/2016 Public Workshop Presentation
- 2014 Draft ESPI Database (updated 4/1/2016)
- Resource Savings Spreadsheet Analysis
- 2015 Draft Ex-Ante Savings Adjustment Statement
- 2015 Draft Ex-Ante Workbook
- 2013 Ex-Post ESPI
- 2015 ESPI Resolution G-3510 (2013 Ex-Post and 2014 Ex-Ante)
- 2013 FINAL Performance Statement Report (Report)
- 2013 Final Ex-Post Performance Statement Report Workbooks and ESPI Database (Excel Workbooks and Access Database File)
- 2013 Draft Performance Statement Report (Report)
- 2013 Draft Performance Statement Report Workbooks (Excel Workbook)
- 2013 ESPI Database Used for Draft Performance Statement Report (Access Database File) - updated June 15, 2015
- Public Input Webinar held June 18, 2015 (Presentation)
- 2013 Draft Ex-Post Results Memo for 2013 Uncertain Measures (Memo)
- March 25, 2015 Public Input Workshop on 2013 ESPI Ex-Post Results (Presentation)
- 2013 tracking data with ESPI values (Access Database File) - updated April 10, 2015
- 2013 Final Ex-Post Results Memo for 2013 Uncertain Measures (Memo)
- 2013 Final ESPI database (Access Database Files – one for each utility) – updated May 7, 2015
Rulemaking (R.)06-04-010 - Risk/ Reward Incentive Mechanism (RRIM)
- In Decision (D.)07-09-043, the Commission authorized a RRIM based on evaluated energy savings for the 2006-2008 and subsequent program cycles.
R.09-01-019 - Examining RRIM
- See R.09-01-019 for all Commission decision regarding incentive payments for the 2006-2008 program cycle and modifications to D.07-09-043.
- Energy Division RRIM White Paper - 2009 Staff proposal for reworking the RRIM.
- In D.10-12-049, the Commission authorized the utilities to apply for incentive awards for 2009 program activity using the formulas and framework generally used for the 2006-2008 RRIM true-up.
- In D.16-09-019, D.16-10-008, and D.17-03-003, the Commission adopted settlement agreements for the utilities to partially refund RRIM payments to customers.
Application (A.)11-06-027 et al. - 2009 "Bridge Year" Incentive Mechanism
- In D.11-12-036, the Commission adopted 2009 incentive earnings awards.
R.12-01-005 - Reforming RRIM; 2010-2012 Incentive Mechanism; Efficiency Savings & Performance Incentive (ESPI) Mechanism
- Continued implementation of reforms to the incentive mechanism as a successor docket to R.09-01-019.
- In D.12-12-032, the Commission approved a 2010-2012 incentive mechanism to award the utilities with a management fee on energy efficiency portfolio expenditures plus a performance bonus for conformance with ex ante review requirements.
- In D.13-09-023, the Commission approved the Efficiency Savings & Performance Incentive (ESPI) Mechanism to reward utilities based on expected and evaluated energy savings and expenditures for the 2013-2015 and subsequent program cycles.
R.13-11-005 - Modifications to ESPI Mechanism
- In D.15-10-028, the Commission modified the ESPI mechanism annual timeline.
- An Administrative Law Judge's ruling publishing a staff white paper recommending changes to the calculation of ex ante review process performance scores.
- In D.16-08-019, the Commission modified the calculation of ex ante review process performance scores.
- An Assigned Commissioner's ruling modified the 2018 ESPI process due to contracting delays.
- An Administrative Law Judge's ruling granted the motion of the Public Advocate's Office of the CPUC to direct Sourthern California Gas Company (SoCalGas) to show cause why SoCalGas should not be sanctioned for failing to comply with D.18-05-041, the CPUC code, and/or the CPUC Rules of Practice and Procedure.
A.17-01-013 et al. - Utility Business Plans
- In D.18-05-041, the Commission addressed relevant issues such as 2018-2025 budgets, statewide programs, and SoCalGas codes and standards programs.
Legislative History last updated 11/25/19