Energy Efficiency Baselines
In D.14-10-046, the Commission directed staff to work with the CEC to understand how energy efficiency baselines are applied, in relation to the volume of deferred retrofits and the ability of program administrators to target and accelerate such upgrades cost-effectively, which were identified in the utilities’ 2015 funding requests.
The CPUC, CEC and Navigant are preparing an Energy Efficiency Baseline Analysis is to examine the appropriateness of using the code or existing conditions baseline as the default baseline to estimate energy efficiency program savings for different types of measures, and the implications for future Title 20 and 24 updates, the demand forecast, and ratepayers.
- E4818 - Resolution on Existing Baseline
- E4939 - Adopts the proposed Track 2 Working Group (T2WG) standard practice baseline definition and baseline selection process with modification and clarification (Effective January 1, 2019)
To-Code Pilot Workshop - April 11, 2017
On April 11, 2017, the California Public Utilities Commission held a public workshop to discuss the lessons learned, status and outlook for the To-Code Pilot projects. These projects were developed pursuant to Commission directive in Decision 14-10-046, Ordering Paragraph 8. The workshop was led by staff from the Commission's Energy Division. Workshop presentations were made by all the organizations directly involved in Pilot design and implementation. This included Energy Division staff, who were assigned to an oversight and management role and E2e, which is the organization contracted by the Commission to provide pilot measurement and verification, and to support the Randomized Control (RCT) designs. Finally, each of the four Investor-Owned Utilities (IOUs), Southern California Gas (SoCalGas), Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), and Southern California Edison (SCE) and San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) presented at the workshop. These organizations were assigned responsibility for program implementation. Links to all of the presentations are provided below. A comprehensive workshop report will be distributed to the service list of R.13-11-005 in June, 2017
- CPUC To-Code Pilots - Energy Division Presentation
- E2e To-Code Pilots - Measurement and Verification Contractor Presentation
- SoCalGas To-Code Pilots - Program Design and Implementation Presentation
- PG&E To-Code Pilots - Program Design and Implementation Presentation
- SDG&E To-Code Pilots - Program Design and Implementation Presentation
- SCE To-Code Pilots - Program Design and Implementation Presentation
Draft Resolution E-4818 - February 9, 2017
Draft Resolution E-4818 addresses the measure level baseline assignment and preponderance of evidence guidance to establish eligibility for an accelerated replacement baseline treatment. This Resolution presents findings and recommendations resulting from Track 1 Working Group activities, organized in accordance with D. 16-08-019 by Commission staff, and implemented with parties and stakeholders.
Track 1 Working Group, October - November 2016
A working group was formed during a public meeting held on October 12, 2016 to follow up on issues related to measure-level baseline and the preponderance of evidence requirements for dual baseline treatment, per the direction of D. 16-08-019. The working group held weekly meetings in October and November and produced a comprehensive working group report on December 7, 2016:
- Working Group Report: Measure-Level Baseline and Preponderance of Evidence for determining an accelerated replacement dual baseline treatment.
Staff Workshop on AB 802 Implementation - January 26 and 27, 2016
- Combined agendas
- Day 1: Policy Consideration in Implementing Existing Conditions Baseline - January 26, 2016
- Day 2: Normalized Metered Energy Consumption - January 27, 2017
- Staff Presentation - January 27, 2016
- Informal Comments
Staff workshop on Existing Conditions Baselines Technical Analysis - November 2015
On November 6th, 2015 Commission staff presented next steps in the implementation of AB 802 (Williams). The workshop focused on the planning stage of the implementation - savings potential for existing baseline conditions. As an initial step on this stage, the Commission contracted Navigant Consulting to carry out a technical analysis to determine estimates for existing conditions baseline. Navigant presented their initial methods for this analysis.
- Existing Baselines Workshop Agenda - November 2015
- CPUC AB 802 implementation presentation
- Navigant Technical Comments - Existing Baselines
- Informal Comments - Existing Baselines workshop - November 2015
Workshop on Energy Efficiency Baselines - April 28, 2015
The purpose of this workshop was to provide parties to R.13-11-005 the opportunity to provide input on the energy efficiency baseline policies and the analyses being prepared by Energy Division and Navigant Consulting in response to D.14-10-046.
- Baseline Policy Framework - April 2015 (Staff Presentation)
- Role of Codes and Standards Presentation (CEC Staff)
- Existing Conditions Baseline Analysis – Suggested Focus and Process
- Navigant Technical Comments - Existing Baseline
Status and Insights from IOUs’ Existing Baseline Pilots